Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Black cats & funding reached, 7 more questions w/Mr. Salmon

a few more questions with Christopher Salmon:

Q:
So! Big congrats!! You raised your goal funding and now THE PRICE film will see the light of day.
What did you/will you do to celebrate?

A:
Watch a great movie, of course! (Still haven't seen the latest HP!)

Q:
Some people are asking how they can get some of the goodies being offered as incentives.
There are still a few more hours to be part of THE PRICE.

A:
Some of those goodies will eventually be made available on www.neverwear.net

Q:
Now that you have mastered the Kickstarter experience, what, if anything, would you have done differently? Any advice for future users of this terrific marketing tool?

A:
Keeping people consistently interested is difficult. There tends to be high interest at first, then a long stretch of "death" when no one seems to be paying attention (ours lasted about 12 days -- sheer agony!), followed by a final spike of great interest. I think if I were to do it again, I would try to come up with some interesting attention-getting tactics to use during the lull.


Q:
Am so looking forward to Zoe Keating’s musical input, at what point do you start to add soundtrack? I know each filmmaker does it differently.

A:
For me, sound is at the top of my list -- I am very inspired by music and have strong emotional reactions to it. Piecing together the temp track alongside Neil's narration was the first thing that I did on The Price. It helps me chart out the emotional landscape of a film, and to find the pace. Once I have that in place, everything else is pieced together around it. I am very excited for composer/sound designer Rob King and the wonderful Zoƫ Keating to begin working on our original soundtrack right away! VERY excited!!!

Q:
No rush, honestly! however, Everyone is asking, when may we expect to see a finished film? Ballpark is fine.

A:
It's a good question. I want to get The Price submitted to several specific film festivals, and we are creating a production schedule that will allow that to happen accordingly. We will need several months of intense production in order to complete the film, but I hope to have it completed by early summer!

Q:
what question would you ask a psychic right now?

A:
If I do a good enough job with The Price, will I get to do The Graveyard Book someday??? :)

Q:
without jinxing anything, have you started thinking of your next project?

A:
I have several ideas of my own brewing in the background, plus some adaptions (other than the aforementioned Graveyard Book) that I'd love a crack at (absolute favorite non-Neil book: The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss).


Great answers, from @XtopherSalmon!
it's me again,
there are FiVE hours left on this Kickstarter project, and then the dust settles for a minute until Christopher can begin production on his vision, the battered black cat as hero, Neil's short story THE PRICE.
I am copying in his latest update on the project, that has several more answers, I always learn something new.
the one-sheets are in production now, I will have them in three days...& they start shipping out!


here he is:


GOAL!!!!!!!!
Update #10 posted about 2 hours ago
My head is still reeling ... like many of you, I watched the numbers late into the night, as they kept going up and up and up ... so when we crossed the $150,000 mark (just after 7:00 MST), it was really hard for me not to get emotional, vacillating between feeling a little weepy, to laughing hysterically, to just wanting to throw-up! :)


But that was, like, 9 hours ago ... so why are people still pledging? Simply put: the more we can raise for "The Price," the better the final film will be.


The way Kickstarter works is you set a minimum amount that you need to raise in order for the project to fund, but that doesn't mean additional funds won't be put to good use as well! Every dollar pledged to this film will be used judiciously and with extreme care -- several of you have shared with the rest of us the many sacrifices made in order to participate, and along with my deepest gratitude, that earns my very highest respect.


And there is another reason as well: people really believe in what we're doing. The ability to decide what entertainments we want, and to have a hand in making them happen is a wonderful, powerful thing.


Please, continue to encourage your friends, family members and professional associates to take a look at what we're doing. In addition to participating in a revolutionary new way of creating the type of media we want to enjoy, pledging is still the only way to get copies of the finished film (or any of the other rewards ... including the 6 remaining VIP screening invites with Mr. Gaiman himself).


And remember that any backer who increases their pledge will get one of our new, limited edition, embossed 1-sheet posters (not to be confused with the limited editions poster from the rewards section) -- there are still some left!!!


I'll see you all again in about 8 hours from now ...


4 comments:

spacedlaw said...

I was asking about the duration of the project too. I am surprised to see a target end date so close (although he did not specify which year). Surprised and delighted.

Donna said...

Is it too early to start campaigning for Chris to do 'The Graveyard Book'?

vampi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vampi said...

*squee*

so excited about this movie. it was really neat to watch the progression of donations.